Monday, May 26, 2008

Learning to like HU NL Poker

As of recent, I have been testing the waters with NL Heads Up poker. I have had mostly positive results and am beginning to identify players who play pretty weak. Not to say I am really good, but its obvious when I am up against a weaker player. I will continue to hone my skills and hopefully someday I will be as good as my HU NL idol: PeopleMover.

Here is an example of a hand I felt I played well. I was stuck against this opponent when on a previous hand he called off about $18 with a weak flush draw with one card to come. Of course the river was a spade to make his flush. Anyhow, revenge is sweet, LOL.

Table: PENNSYLVANIA ST (Real Money) Seat #6 is the dealer
Seat 6 - VILLAIN ($28.87 in chips)
Seat 4 - MIZZARK619 ($31.88 in chips)
VILLAIN - Posts small blind $0.25
MIZZARK619 - Posts big blind $0.50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to MIZZARK619 [Kd 7s]
VILLAIN - Calls $0.25
MIZZARK619 - Checks
*** FLOP *** [7c 4c Ah]
MIZZARK619 - Checks
VILLAIN - Bets $2
MIZZARK619 - Calls $2
*** TURN *** [7c 4c Ah] [7d]
MIZZARK619 - Checks
VILLAIN - Bets $2
MIZZARK619 - Raises $7 to $7
VILLAIN - Calls $5
*** RIVER *** [7c 4c Ah 7d] [Kc]
MIZZARK619 - Bets $8
VILLAIN - Calls $8
*** SHOW DOWN ***
MIZZARK619 - Shows [Kd 7s] (Full house, sevens full of kings)
VILLAIN - Mucks
MIZZARK619 Collects $34.50 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($35) | Rake ($0.50)
Board [7c 4c Ah 7d Kc]
Seat 4: MIZZARK619 (big blind) won Total ($34.50) HI:($34.50) with Full house, sevens full of kings [Kd 7s - P:7s,B:7d,B:7c,P:Kd,B:Kc]
Seat 6: VILLAIN (dealer) (small blind) HI: [Mucked] [Ac 3d]

I really liked my turn raise because I think it disguised my hand. I think a standard play is to raise the turn when on a draw which is what he possibly thought I was on. Even though the flush draw got there on the river, I stalled before betting for value. I was surprised to see he called my value bet with such a weak holding. I think that was the result of my constant pressure on him throughout our entire session. He quit me when I stacked him and had taken another $12 or so from him after he rebought in.

I am still buying into these HU sessions short, obviously because I am still learning the game. Hopefully in the next couple months, if I can continue to see positive results, I will begin to make full buy-ins($100) and continue to have +EV sessions.

No comments: