Friday, May 30, 2008

Thursday Results

I played a lot of poker yesterday. I think I got in a really good mix of a little bit of everything: sit n gos, ring game, and tourney play. I had positive results booking +$160 to the bankroll when all was said and done.

I have noticed as of late that there is A LOT of overlay in the AP guaranteed tournaments. Basically this means AP guarantees a certain sized prize pool based on the assumption enough players will play the tournament to at least meet the guaranteed amount. An overlay occurs when not enough players sign up and AP has to cover the difference.

So for example: AP runs a daily $100 buy-in tourney that is a $10k guaranteed tourney. Last night only about 72 players signed up to play which only equals $7.2k. This means AP had to come up with the additional $2.8k to make it a 10k guaranteed. This is very good for the players as they have the opportunity to make more money in a smaller field. I almost bought into this tourney last night but the competition looked pretty stiff. There were a lot of TLB (Tournament Leader Board) players registered, obviously since the overlay was so huge. If I can increase my bankroll a bit, I may give this tourney a try.

Hmmm... if I start playing $100 buy-in tourneys, I will have to change the name of my blog from Micro Stakes to Low Stakes. Hahahaha!

Until next time, ship!

No comments: